1. Home
  2. Magazine
  3. Car Rental Insurance

What kind of cover is best when hiring a car?

You have booked your trip, the hire car is reserved. Now the question arises as to which is the best insurance cover for a hire car?

We have provided an overview of the different kinds of insurance below:

  •  Fully comprehensive without excess 
  • Theft insurance without excess 
  • Glass, tyre and roof 
  • Underbody In the case of fully comprehensive 

In the case of fully comprehensive insurance, check that it is without excess, because otherwise you might be in for an unpleasant surprise if you make a claim or someone else claims against you. Also make sure you have theft insurance, also without any excess.

Third party liability insurance is a basic must and hence absolutely essential. Particularly in countries like the USA, where claims can be for millions, you cannot forego third party liability cover. Also check the amount insured. This should be at least 1 million euros. At TUI Cars this is already included in the price and the sum insured is always at least 7.5 million euros. For the USA it is important to understand the following terms related to third party liability, collision damage and fully comprehensive insurance:

  •  Liability insurance, abbreviated to LI = Third party liability insurance 
  • CDW = Collision Damage Waiver 
  • LDW = Loss Damage Waiver

With glass, tyre and roof as well as underbody insurance you are fully covered. That is why our package TUI Cars is called all-round carefree. If you have this cover, no matter if you have a blow out or the windscreen breaks, you don’t have to worry, as the replacement or repair costs will be refunded.

Take good note: All the different kinds of insurance described above are already included in the price if you book with TUI Cars.